33. Can you describe a time you went beyond the call of duty?
34. Can you describe a situation in which you thought that you were right and others were wrong—and what you did about it?
35. Can you describe a situation in which you were supposed to work with a person you didn’t like and how you handled it?
36. Have you ever been in a situation in which a co-worker put a patient in jeopardy? If so, what did you do about it?
37. What would you do if you were asked to float to a specialty area you weren’t familiar with?
38. Can you describe a time your work was criticized and how you handled it?
39. How do you handle delegation issues with unlicensed assistive personnel?
40. How would your co-workers describe you?
41. How would you describe your role in a recent code?
42. How do you handle stress?
43. Have you ever been fired or asked to resign?
44. What would a background check on you show?
45. Would your previous employer recommend you?
46. What would you do if you were caring for an alert patient who suddenly got acutely confused and disoriented?
47. What would you do if you found an elderly patient on the floor in his room? How would you document it?
48. Have you worked with many foreign nurses? If so, what did you do to help them?
49. How would you handle a situation in which you couldn’t read a prescriber’s orders?
50. If you were offered your last job again today, would you take it?
If you’re returning to nursing after not working in the profession for a while:
51. How long has it been since you worked as a nurse?
52. What have you been doing since you’ve been out of nursing?
53. How have you prepared to return to nursing?
54. Did you take a refresher course? How did it help?
55. How have you kept up with changes in the profession?
If you’re a student applying for your first position:
56. What’s your most important achievement as a student?
57. When do you plan to take your NCLEX? Have you taken a course to prepare for it?
58. Where did you get your clinical experience? What units?
59. Did your clinical experience include putting in a urinary drainage catheter or starting an intravenous line access? Inserting or removing a nasogastric tube, or caring for a patient with one?
60. What was your favorite clinical experience? Least favorite? Why?
61. What types of charting systems have you used? What do you like about them? What do you dislike?
62. What do you think is a reasonable orientation time?
63. Have you worked with an electronic medication administration record? Bar coding?
64. What new technology have you used in school, such as personal digital assistants (PDAs)?
65. Are you on-line often? What are your favorite sites for reliable health care information?